Boylestone is a small village off the main road (A515 Ashbourne to Sudbury) but it is within easy travelling distance of Derby, Ashbourne, Burton and Uttoxeter.
In 1857 there were 67 houses, 302 inhabitants (153 male and 149 male).
Boylestone was the site of the first Primitive Methodist Sunday School in the world. It was started on the 27th of February 1814.
The village is famous for the Bloodless Battle of Boylestone. One evening during August 1644, Royalist troops on their way to Wingfield Manor took refuge in St John the Baptist church. During the night they were surrounded by Cromwells men and forced to file out of the door and surrender their weapons.
The buildings in Boylestone are in the main old, built before 1900, and the buildings that are new were built since 1950,
Boylestone has few amenities, but does have a public house, a church, chapel, and village hall, the latter originally being the Village school.
Boylestone used to be a farming village, but it is now predominately a commuter village with many people living in the village, but working in nearby towns.